A Conversation with Ben Williamson
Welcome to episode 183 of the F-Stop Collaborate and Listen podcast.
This week on the podcast, I had a wonderful conversation with a photographer that I have long admired from afar. Ben Williamson hails from the state of Maine and has amassed a fantastic collection of what he mostly describes as "scenic" photography from New England. Whatever you want to call it, his work exudes passion and a love for where he lives. Ben works for Down East Magazine as a staff photographer and leads workshops.
Ben and I discuss some interesting topics this week, including:
- His journey into photography.
- What it is like working for a small regional magazine and how other photographers could think about collaborating with magazines local to them.
- Teaching photography and what Ben loves about it.
- How Ben has partnered with other photographers on his journey.
- How Ben includes man-made objects in his photography to make them more emotionally connective.
- How Ben balances shooting for himself vs. shooting to please others.
- ... and more!
Over on Patreon, this week, you can join over 100 of your peers in supporting the podcast financially and hear Ben and I talk about his obsession with weather and how he leverages that obsession to improve his photography.
I hope you enjoy our conversations.
Other items mentioned on the show:
1. Gary Randall Calendars.
2. My OnLandscape column.
Here are the photographers that Ben recommended on the podcast:
1. Jerry Monkman.
2. John Putnam.
4. Greta Rybus.
5. Jamie Walter.
6. Dave Dostie.
I love hearing from the podcast listeners! Reach out to me via Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter if you'd like to be on the podcast or if you have an idea of a topic we can talk about. Join the discussion over on Nature Photographer's Network! We have weekly discussions about each episode of the podcast. It's also free! We also have an Instagram page and a Facebook page for updates.
Thanks for stopping in, collaborating with us, and listening. See you next week.
As a reminder, you can also support the podcast by shopping at B+H for your photography gear using our Affiliate Link.
Please find a transcript of this week's episode below: