Welcome to episode 040 of the F-Stop Collaborate and Listen podcast with England-based landscape photographer Alex Nail! I've been a huge fan of Alex's photography for quite a long time! Alex is also a mountain guy and takes images from hard to reach places that are absolutely inspiring. I first stumbled onto Alex's work when I was a guest editor over on 500px and immediately made one of his photos an editor's choice! Alex is one of the most down-to-earth artists I've spoken to and just oozes authenticity. We had such a great conversation (one of my favorites).
Alex and I covered some great topics this week, including:
- How Alex got into Landscape Photography
- Photographing hard to reach places
- Time-lapse photography
- Keeping his work fresh while trying to promote his book without sharing images from the book
- The "online arms race" for self promotion and its impact on landscape photography
- The difference in processing styles between USA and European artists
Special announcements: Please consider supporting the podcast on Patreon! Let’s keep the conversations going! I recently set a goal of $1,000 in monthly contributions which I will use to seed a $1,000 landscape conversation award. This will only be possible if people contribute on Patreon!
Lastly, I am happy to announce that I'm now a Formatt-Hitech filter ambassador. Listeners to the podcast get 10% off their order if they use the code "PAYNE10" - thanks for supporting the podcast!
To learn more about Alex:
Here are the artists that Alex would like to hear on the podcast:
Some examples of Alex's photography can be seen below.