Building Community in Nature Photography
Niche communities exist for the purpose of providing education, resources, and a sense of belonging. The need for these communities is greater than ever in our age of polarization on social media and the impersonal interactions often found there. In the nature photography space, no better community exists than on Nature Photographer's Network (NPN). On today's podcast episode, I sit down with the owner of NPN, David Kingham, and the Editor for NPN, Cody Schultz, to discuss photography communities, critique, and the launch of Nature Vision Magazine.
On this week's episode, we discuss:
- The meaning of community as it relates to nature photography.
- The value of belonging to a community.
- The benefits of becoming a member of Nature Photographer's Network, and a discussion on what has changed at NPN as of late.
- The value of critique and how to get the most out of it.
- Connecting with our audience in a community such as NPN.
- Outdoor Photographer Magazine's demise and how Nature Vision Magazine seeks to fill this void.
- How Nature Vision Magazine will work and what benefits it will offer to subscribers.
- And a lot more!
If you enjoyed our conversation, you can listen to our bonus episode on Patreon where we discuss the importance of providing platforms for photographer's to contribute their expertise and be compensated fairly for it.
Other topics/links discussed on the podcast this week:
- Join us on NPN and save 10% using the code FSTOP10.
- Support the podcast on Patreon.
- The Natural Landscape Photography Awards.
- Creative Banter Podcast.
- PetaPixel article on Outdoor Photographer Magazine.
- Watch podcast episodes on YouTube, where we overlay photos with our conversation via video.
I love hearing from the podcast listeners! Reach out to me via Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter if you'd like to be on the podcast or if you have an idea of a topic we can talk about. We also have an Instagram page, a Facebook Page, and a Facebook Group - so don't be shy!
We also have a searchable transcript of every episode!
Thanks for stopping in, collaborating with us, and listening. See you next week.
P.S. you can also support the podcast by purchasing items through our B+H affiliate link.