Chasing the Aurora Borealis
Chasing the Aurora Borealis is a dream for many photographers and a dream come true for those who can successfully do it. Of course, not all of us have the luxury of living in an area where it can be done with relative ease, so when we travel to locations where it is possible, we want to maximize our chances at seeing and photographing incredible solar storms. Today's guest on the F-Stop Collaborate and Listen Podcast, Adrien Mauduit, has become an expert at chasing the Aurora and joined us to talk all about his workflows for maximizing success and fully understanding all of the variables that go into a successful Aurora chase.
On this week's episode, we discuss:
- How Adrien got obsessed with photographing and filming the Aurora.
- Adrien's Aurora chasing workflow.
- Planning trips to photograph the Aurora.
- Debunking common myths and misconceptions about the Aurora, including the KP Index.
- Running a business solely dedicated to photographing and filming the Aurora.
- Advice for young photographers looking to make it in our field.
- Adrien's in-depth Aurora chasing course (use the code FSTOPCOLLAB2023 for 10-% off).
- Noctilucent clouds and how Adrien works with non-profits to study them.
- And a lot more!
If you enjoyed our conversation, you can listen to our bonus episode on Patreon where Adrien and I discuss the absolutely radical event that he became involved in over on Twitter with a user named Massimo and Elon Musk.
Other topics/links discussed on the podcast this week:
- Support the podcast on Patreon.
- Dr. Skov.
- Halo CME.
- NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center.
- Paul Smith and Sprites.
- Project PoSSUM.
- Watch podcast episodes on YouTube, where we overlay photos with our conversation via video.
Here is who Adrien recommended on the podcast this week:
I love hearing from the podcast listeners! Reach out to me via Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter if you'd like to be on the podcast or if you have an idea of a topic we can talk about. We also have an Instagram page, a Facebook Page, and a Facebook Group - so don't be shy!
We also have a searchable transcript of every episode!
Thanks for stopping in, collaborating with us, and listening. See you next week.
P.S. you can also support the podcast by purchasing items through our B+H affiliate link.
Scroll down to see more of Adrien's photography.