Curiosity of the Natural World - Photographing Yosemite
Welcome to episode 193 of the F-Stop Collaborate and Listen podcast.
This week on the podcast, I was happy to be joined by Robb Hirsch, a landscape photographer from California.
Robb is a biologist by training, naturalist by heart, and photographer by passion. Robb has an intimate relationship with the natural world. This connection was established early during annual childhood visits to Yosemite, which forged his bond with this magical place. After receiving his undergraduate degree from the University of California–Irvine, Robb began a career as a field biologist, working on a variety of projects for California State Parks, the US Geological Survey, and several private firms. His love for traveling and exploration has taken him through Africa, Central America, Tasmania and the western United States. Initially photography was a means to document his work and travels, but it soon became the focus. Robb’s photography has been featured in international competitions, calendars, magazines, and gallery showings, and he leads customized, small group and private photography workshops in Yosemite and surrounding Sierra Nevada.
Robb and I discuss some interesting topics this week, including:
- How Robb got into landscape photography as a biologist.
- Robb's incredible book, "The Nature of Yosemite - A Visual Journey",
- Robb's love affair with Yosemite National Park and the Yosemite Conservancy,
- How curiosity of the natural world and geological processes informs and guides his photography,
- His method of composition in landscape photography,
- Using photography to inspire others to experience their own connections to a place,
- The importance of understanding the history of the places we photograph,
- And much, much more.
Over on Patreon this week, Robb and I discuss the importance of developing personal relationships with other people as landscape photographers.
Here are the photographers that Kristen recommended on the podcast:
1. Jerry Dodrill.
2. Ian Shive.
3. Ed Callert.
4. James McGrew.
Other items mentioned on the show this week:
1. Gary Randall and Chris Byrne Columbia River Gorge workshop.
I love hearing from the podcast listeners! Reach out to me via Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter if you'd like to be on the podcast or if you have an idea of a topic we can talk about. Join the discussion over on Nature Photographer's Network! We have weekly discussions about each episode of the podcast. It's also free! We also have an Instagram page and a Facebook page for updates.
Thanks for stopping in, collaborating with us, and listening. See you next week.
As a reminder, you can also support the podcast by shopping at B+H for your photography gear using our Affiliate Link.
Please find a transcript of this week's episode below: