Welcome to Episode 148 of the F-Stop Collaborate and Listen podcast.
This week's episode was recorded live at Out of Yosemite. I was lucky to be invited as an instructor and podcast host by the gracious Out of Chicago team. They put together a fantastic line up of instructors, activities, presentations, and excursions. Students and instructors were given the opportunity to interact and learn from each other in the birthplace of modern landscape photography - the Yosemite Valley. Ansel Adams' son and daughter-in-law were in attendance as well as two of Ansel's former assistants, Alan Ross and John Sexton. We had an all-star list of instructors spanning several decades and styles of work from film experts to the latest time-lapse and digital masters.
It was such an honor to be a small part of it.
On the final night of the conference I had the wonderful privilege to host a live podcast in front of about 40 people. Our panel included some fantastic photographers:
We covered a wide variety of topics, including:
- How do you find and apply inspiration in your photography?
- How has your photography evolved over time and why have you chosen to go the direction we have?
- How do we bridge the divide between the old school methods and new school methods of landscape photography?
- Why do you photograph?
- What are the positive and negative impacts of bringing large groups of people to the National Parks?
- What do you do when you’re not photographing and how does that influence your photography?
- What are the pros and cons of shooting alone vs. groups?
- What should students do after the conference?
Over on Patreon this week, we have something special for listeners. Before the conference officially began, the instructors had a wonderful dinner and many drinks to celebrate the start of the conference and to get to know each other. After this dinner, Colleen Miniuk, Franka Gabler, Michael Shainblum, and Alex Noriega joined me for a drunk podcast recording. It was so much fun! Just head over to patreon.com/fstopandlisten for more info on how you can support the podcast and get awesome bonus content like this drunk recording.
Please consider supporting the podcast on Patreon! There's a ton of bonus content over there for subscribers!
Other items mentioned on the show:
1. Out of Moab Conference - use the code "PAYNE" for $250 off until Feb. 28.
2. Out of Acadia Conference - use the code "PAYNE" for $250 off until Feb. 28.
I love hearing from the podcast listeners! Reach out to me via Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter if you'd like to be on the podcast or if you have an idea of a topic we can talk about. Join the discussion over on Nature Photographer's Network! We have weekly discussions about each episode of the podcast. It's also free! We also have an Instagram page and a Facebook page for updates.
Thanks for stopping in, collaborating with us, and listening. See you next week.
As a reminder, you can also support the podcast by shopping at B+H for your photography gear using our Affiliate Link.