One of the most common questions I hear from other photographers is, "how can I monetize my photography?" It's a complicated question with many valid answers. Most importantly, it's crucial for photographers to understand some of the complex underpinnings, psychological challenges, ethical questions, and the impacts on creativity that often accompany monetization in landscape photography.
This week on the podcast I had an amazing time talking with Israeli Landscape Photographer Ilan Shacham. Ilan is one of those photographers that flies under the radar and when you see their work for the first time you'll ask yourself why you have never heard of them before! Ilan made the challenging transition to becoming a full-time photographer in 2017 and in today's episode we delve deep into monetization and internal conflicts that can arise relating to monetization.
On this week's episode, we discuss:
- Ilam's journey as a photographer,
- Why Ilan made the leap to become a full-time photographer and how that impacted his work,
- Ways in which monetization both helps and hinders his photography,
- Ways to overcome the challenges of monetization,
- Actionable ways to make money in landscape photography,
- Educating the public on the challenges of making good images,
- Photographing Israel as a landscape photographer,
- The implications of AI and photography,
- And a lot more!
Other topics/links discussed on the podcast this week:
- Support the podcast on Patreon.
Here is who Ilan recommended on the podcast this week:
I love hearing from the podcast listeners! Reach out to me via Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter if you'd like to be on the podcast or if you have an idea of a topic we can talk about. We also have an Instagram page, a Facebook Page, and a Facebook Group - so don't be shy!
We also have a searchable transcript of every episode!
Thanks for stopping in, collaborating with us, and listening. See you next week.
P.S. you can also support the podcast by purchasing items through our B+H affiliate link.
Scroll down to see more of Ilan's excellent work!